Car Accident Lawyers in Traverse City, Michigan
If you’ve been in a car accident in Traverse City, Michigan, you may have questions about the next steps you should take. While every accident and its aftermath are unique, we’ve included a list of things below that you can consider in the moments and hours after an accident takes place. This is the time when people are at their greatest stress and anxiety. The moments after a car accident can be incredibly overwhelming. It’s easy to forget the little details. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Call 911. If someone has been injured or killed in a car accident, it is the law to render aid and to make a police report. If your accident resulted in more than $1000 in property damage, you may also be required under the law to report the accident. But even if no one appears injured and property damage appears minor, it still may be a good idea to call 911 and report the accident. Why? Sometimes minor damage can be quite costly. Even a minor fender bender can be expensive to repair. Some injuries may not always be apparent right after an accident takes place. Some symptoms of injuries like head trauma or whiplash can take hours or days before they appear. Rather than trying to reconstruct the details of an accident from memory, a police report will get the facts in writing, and also help you should you need to make an insurance claim or later need to make a personal injury claim.
- Exchange Information. Get the car insurance and contact information of the other driver, and also of any witnesses who saw the accident take place.
- Take Photos. If you can, take photos of your car, damages to your car, injuries you might have sustained, and the accident scene if it is safe to do so.
- Don’t take responsibility. Determining negligence after a crash can sometimes be complex. You never know if the other driver might have been drinking, might have been driving on an expired or invalid license, and you don’t always have the whole story at the scene. Call the police, tell the truth to the officer, and contact your insurance company and car accident lawyer next.
- Contact Your Insurance Company. Many companies require drivers to report an accident right away. Let your insurance company know you’ve been in an accident.
- Contact a Car Accident Lawyer. While a car accident lawyer may not be needed in the aftermath of every minor car accident or fender bender, if your accident resulted in personal injuries or significant damage to one or both vehicles, you may want to speak to a car accident lawyer for advice. The Neumann Law Firm is a car accident law firm in Traverse City, Michigan that may be able to help you. We can evaluate your case, estimate the value of your claim, and help you understand your rights and the next steps.
If you’ve been hurt in a car accident, you may only have a limited amount of time to seek compensation for your losses and injuries. You may be facing questions from insurance adjusters, may not be sure about your rights regarding other drivers, and may have questions about your injuries and recovery process. The Neumann Law Firm is a car accident law firm in Traverse City, Michigan that may be able to help you settle your car accident claim with insurance companies and negligent parties. You and your family might be entitled to receive damages for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. You are not alone. We may be able to help.